Saturday, March 24, 2007

With the right tools, any face is possible

As much as I love makeup, I tend to give little thought to the tools I use to apply my makeup. But after washing my brushes recently (something you really must do with a fair amount of regularity), I realize my makeup brush collection is rather feeble. Thus, I've been on a mission to amp it up a bit. But until I really started looking, I had no idea brushes were so expensive! Luckily, for the girl (or guy - no one's judging!) on a budget, there are some fabulous brush lines available at fabulous prices.

Essence of Beauty:
This brush line is available exclusively at CVS drugstores and ranges in price from around $5 to $15. My personal favorite brush is the Kabuki. As I've posted previously, I use my Kabuki to apply my mineral makeup, but it can be used for bronzer, powder, highlighter or even blush. Other standouts from this line are their foundation/concealer double-end brush, and their eyeshadow brushes. The hair is synthetic, for those who are animal friendly, and the brushes are all ultra soft.

Sonia Kashuk:
These brushes are made exclusively for Target. I'm sure you've seen the Sonia Kashuk section if you've spent any time in the cosmetics department of Target. The prices of these brushes are a bit higher than the Essence of Beauty brushes, but you still won't break the bank. You'll pay anywhere from $5 to $20 (and less if you happen to find brushes on clearance!). A favorite SK tool of mine is her metal lash comb. Priced right around $5-6, this metal version of the traditional lash comb will help you say buh-bye to thick clumpy lashes. Other favorites are her powder brush and eyeshadow blending brush.

Japonesque:
If you have a little extra cash, but still can't afford super expensive makeup brushes, this might be a brand worth checking out. Japonesque is sold at various retailers: Ulta, Nordstrom, Trade Secret, and Merle Norman are a few examples. Prices run between $8 and $34, but these brushes are a great value for the price. You can save even more money if you opt for the travel version of the brush, which just means it has a slightly shorter handle. The short handle can be particularly handy if you're trying to do your eye makeup, since it gives you better control. My personal favorite brush from this line is the flat eyeliner brush. The super-firm bristles make it easy to get your eyeliner right at the base of your lashes so they look ultra-full.

Bottom line? There's hope for us brush newbies who can't afford to spend our money on MAC or Chanel or Bobbi Brown brushes. These drugstore brand brushes offer exceptional quality similar to their high end counterparts, but at a fraction of the price. And with all the money you save on brushes, you can buy oodles more makeup to use with your new brushes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very informative post! i love it! kisses :D