Thursday, March 22, 2007

Smooth, flawless skin? Sign me up!

What if I told you there's a moisturizer that can help create smooth, even skin, help minimize pore size, and even decrease the look of wrinkles over time? You'd probably want it, right? I mean, come on - who doesn't want to have perfect skin? So what if I said that such a product can be found at your local drugstore for less than $20? Riiiiiiiight, you'd say. Like you can get something like that for under $100.

Well believe it. Alpha Hydrox has a product called AHA Souffle, and it can help transform your face in ways you've never imagined! The Souffle is a 12% Glycolic Acid cream that you slather on your face at night (and/or in the morning), and with regular use, can produce great results.

Brief tutorial on alpha hydroxy acids (AHA). I won't bother to tell you about the chemical makeup because after all, this is blog about beauty, not chemistry. In a nutshell, they are naturally occurring acids derived from sugar in certain plants. They basically help speed up cell turnover in your skin by dissolving the gunk that holds your dead skin cells together (and yes, "gunk" is a highly technical term). The result - smoother, even-toned skin. Glycolic acid, the ingredient I mentioned above, is one of several AHAs.

OK, so back to the product at hand. I've been using this cream every night for the last three weeks, and my-oh-my is my skin feeling smooth! It's like baby's-butt smooth. Expensive Italian leather smooth. And the coolest thing is that it's fading some of those obnoxious red marks that are left over after you pick at your zits (big no-no, by the way - it's a habit I'm trying to break). I can't really make an assessment if it's shrunk my pores or lessened my few wrinkles (yes, I have a few small wrinkles - if I had been serious about wearing sunscreen when I was younger, I might be whistling a different tune today). But I'd imagine over time that might be more apparent.

Regardless, at $15, this is a great value. However, please be advised that this heightens your sun sensitivity, so make sure you incorporate a good sunscreen into your daily beauty routine! Your wrinkle-free face will thank me for it.

So go check it out the next time you're at Walgreens. It's youth in a bottle, I swear!

(One last caution: some people have said that at first, AHA creams cause them to break out - a phenomenon known as "purging." Basically, the idea behind purging is that your skin gets rid of all the bad stuff before it can "heal" or whatever. I haven't had that kind of reaction with this product, but others have said that they stuck it out a week or two and it was like their skin did a complete 180 after it purged. I wanted to make you aware of this possibility so you don't post nasty things if you happen to get a breakout or two after trying this! Just stick with it and hopefully I won't let you down!)

No comments: