Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Globe-a-licious

As you likely know, the 64th annual Golden Globes were held on Monday. In typical award show fashion, the celebs sported an array of looks that ranged from glam to garish.

Topping my list for best look of 2007 is Jennifer Hudson.

I was blown away when I saw her. The berry lip, the shimmery eye - she was right on target with this look. Dreamgirl, indeed!

Next up, I chose Salma Hayek. Her look is the epitome of sultry and smoldering (without being overdone).

Can we please talk about her skin? Flawless!

Reese Witherspoon also had a flawless look. She embodies chic, understated elegance.

I'm such a fan of her new cut. The layers and bangs are perfect!

I was pleasantly surprised by Ali Larter. The Heroes star is undoubtedly gorgeous, but I've never seen her on the red carpet before so I didn't know what to expect from her. But she looked fabulous! Natural, sunny makeup, flowing waves, and an amazing dress reminiscent of a Grecian goddess (which is unfortunately not pictured here).

Another sunny blond who caught my eye was Sheryl Crow. She consistently impresses me on the red carpet, and this event was no exception. Can you believe that she's over 40? She has the skin of a teenager!

Finally, my last favorite look goes to newcomer America Ferrera. Ugly Betty she most certainly is not! I love that she's becoming such an amazing role model for young girls.

Now the fun part - the worst looks of the red carpet!

Jean Smart (who knew she was still coming to these award shows??) takes the cake for the absolute worst look. Ever.

I think she must have gone to Glamour Shots to get this atrocious look. There's no way a Hollywood stylist or makeup artist would have ever created that!

Patricia Arquette is my second runner-up for worst look. You'd think the Medium could have sensed before she left the house that this look was no good.

The hair, the makeup, the jewelry - in my book, none of it works.

Sadly, I also have to give Katherine Heigel low marks - and it kills me to do this, because I think she's phenomenally gorgeous! But I just don't dig her makeup or her hair. The eyes seem a little too smoky, the lips look a little to nude, and the face is a little too bronze. And the hair... I'm not opposed to the 40's era pin-up girl look, but I just don't love it here.

You can't have a "worst looks" list without putting Sienna Miller on it. I think she's a beautiful girl, but I can't get my hands around the fashion and beauty choices she regularly makes.


What, is she channeling Princess Leia?? And this isn't even the worst picture of her from the night.

Next, we have Geena Davis. She's made Blackwell's Worst Dressed list before, and she lived up to that reputation with her Golden Globes look.

The obvious blush and unflattering lip color are what put me off from her look.

Lastly, and this one may cause a lot of disagreement, is Angelina Jolie. Don't get me wrong - she did look good. BUT, I just think she looks a little too Jeri Ryan-esq, circa Star Trek.

A poor comparison, indeed, but the voluminous updo, pouty lips and all-grey garb immediately made me think of this promo photo of Jeri.


All-in-all, however, most celebs were looking beautiful. It was a good year for the Globes.

2 comments:

weasel said...

Dissin' on Princess Leia? The nerve! Well, I guess I'll over look that and keep on reading...

P.S. - A blog I read occasionaly that may be of interest to an aspiring (screen) writer, Jane Espenson

Anonymous said...

interesting;mostly agree except for the last one,she does not look like star trek( grey isn't always bad especially if it's muting another color like blue. I sometimes like blue- grey)