Monday, January 29, 2007

13th Annual SAG Awards

Celebrities flocked to L.A.'s Shrine Exposition Center this Sunday for the second big awards show of the red carpet season, the Screen Actors Guild Awards. Unlike the Globes, this year everyone looked amazing. In fact, I struggled to come up with my picks for the worst looks of the night. Picking the best looks of the night was a much easier task, so I'll start with those!

Hands down, Mariska Hargitay stole the show for me. She. Looked. So. Good. The smokey eye makeup, neutral lip, and loose tendrils... Perfection. See for yourself!

Reese Witherspoon followed in her own footsteps from the Golden Globes, again donning a knee-length Nina Ricci dress. She complemented her new bangs with a loose and relaxed updo. Again, she's the portrait of understated elegance. So classy!

Also topping my list, just as she did for the Globes, is Jennifer Hudson. Her skin absolutely glows (I'm dying to know what products she used). I'm not wild about her dress, but it sure does show off her curves.

Another dewy faced diva that tops my list is Eva Longoria. I'll come right out and admit my sheer and utter jealousy of her eyelashes. Granted, they're probably fake, but she wears them as if they were her own. And what a glow she has about her. Must be her engagement to Tony Parker that's putting that sparkle in her eye!

Kate Walsh of Grey's Anatomy also tops my list. I love redheads, though admittedly, I wouldn't want to be one, but Kate works her red hair like no one else. I love the pale yellow dress and the berry lip she's rocking - it goes so perfectly with her skin tone. It's tough to work with auburn tresses, but she does it well.

Finally, I once again am totally digging on America Ferrera. She just does it right every time! Again, she's gone with a jewel-tone dress and simple-but-elegant hair. I love the berry lip on her as well - it suits her. I love this girl!

There were so many great looks this year, that I have to at least give out some Honorable Mentions. Here's a shout out to the women who rocked their looks, and due to space (and time), couldn't be included in this post.

Honorable Mentions: Anne Hathaway, Nicolette Sheridan, Cate Blanchett, Sandra Oh, Sara Ramirez, and Terri Hatcher.

Okay. Now for the bad. Like I said, it was tough to be anything but impressed with what I saw, but there were a few women who definitely donned Don't outfits.

First, we've got Debi Mazar from Entourage. I don't watch the show, so I don't know if this is how she looks all the time, but ay yai yai! She looks like a creature from outer space. Scary!

The next victim is Kiersten Warren from Desperate Housewives. I didn't like this woman on the show, and my dislike has continued onto the red carpet. Is that a beehive? She also needs to get her girls to stand a little more, uh, upright, if you know what I mean. Probably not the best choice of necklines.

Next, we have Elizabeth Perkins from Weeds. It's not that she looks bad. I just don't care for it all put together. I think it's a little too matchy-matchy for my taste. The hair nearly matches the dress, which exactly matches the lipstick. I don't think the color is flattering for her as other colors would be.

It looks like I'm having to "pass on grass" this year, as far as the women from Weeds are concerned. Next on my list is Mary Louise Parker. This look is more appropriate for a small child. Her shoes are atrocious, as is the dress. In fact, she looks like a small child in this ensemble.

I love me some Meredith on Grey's Anatomy, but I don't love me some Ellen Pompeo at this year's SAG awards. Her hair looks so severe when it's pulled back so tight. And while I love the stunning color of the dress, the tortoiseshell detailing at the neck is just plain weird. Her makeup, however, looks quite nice.

Finally, I'm having to add Rachel McAdams to the worst looks list. I'd love to sit this girl down and talk to her about the pink hair. It has got to go. I used to dip my hair in Kool-Aid to get that look, back when that look was still cool (I'm talking, like, 1994). I'm praying the pink hair can be attributed to a role she's currently working on; if not, she needs a style intervention.

And finally, I've got to give a special mention to Patricia Arquette, who did a total 180 from the Golden Globes. This time around, she sported a much softer look. The hair color is so much more complementary, and the style is much more elegant. She's toned down the jewelry (that necklace is worth $1 million - I certainly can't turn my nose down at that!), and the dress is flattering. I'm glad she made such a great turnaround. I just wish I had a better picture to show you all.

I'm looking forward to what these stars will come up with next on the red carpet. Next stop, Oscars!

No comments: