Monday, June 11, 2007

Top Drugstore Picks

I'm not a beauty snob. I mean, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to look great! It's all about finding products that seem expensive, but cost next to nothing. By popular demand, here's my list of some of my drugstore faves. Since I have quite a few, I'll break this into a series of posts. Round 1 - Eye Shadow, Lip Gloss and Blush.

Eye Shadow

Shadow is a staple in my makeup case, so finding quality, cheap shadows can be a challenge. The hands-down winner for best drugstore eye shadows, in my book, goes to Wet 'n' Wild. Who knew that such great quality could come so cheap? Literally, I have not been disappointed by a single eyeshadow I've tried from this brand. For the best value, however, you definitely need to pick up an Ultimate Expressions Eye Shadow Palette. For $4.99, you get 8 fantastic shadows with a quality that rivals MAC. There are a few options for colors, by my personal pick is the Paradise Cove palette - the rich browns, purples and mauves are striking on every color eye! But if neutral colors are more your style, the Sand Castle palette is another must-have. These are staple shades that every makeup maven needs in her cosmetic case. But heck, for $4.99 each, you can afford to get both - for less than the price of one MAC shadow!

Lip Gloss

Next to eye shadow, lip gloss is my true love. I carry more tubes of gloss in my purse on any given day than some people have in their entire makeup stash! One particular gloss that's consistently impressed me is Maybelline Lip Polish. You'll remember that I've sung praises about this gloss in the past, but I just have to reiterate - It. Is. Fabulous. The gel-based formula is not sticky, but instead is incredibly creamy and smooth. The color payoff is fabulous for each color I've tried. And it's only around $5 so you can't go wrong. If you can find a store that still has a display up for the limited edition City Safari collection, snag a tube of Papaya Kiss. It's a gorgeous peachy-coral color that will be perfect with your (fake) tan this summer!

Blush

I'm not trying to toot their horn too much, but my pick for best drugstore blush also comes from the Wet 'n' Wild line. I've said it before, but I'll say it again - Wet 'n' Wild Silk Finish Blush in Naive is simply amazing. The bright pink/color color will flatter a number of skin tones, and it gives you an instant glow when you brush it on. For $3, I suggest you stock up if you come across this gem. It's got quite the cult following, so it can be very hard to find. If you have a Kmart nearby, go peruse the cosmetics department, since this particular shade often pops up at Kmart stores.

That's it for now, but stay tuned for the next installment of my Top Drugstore Picks. On the docket for next time is powder, lipstick and bronzer. See you then!

No comments: