Monday, June 25, 2007

Top Drugstore Picks, Part Two

I'm a woman of my word, so here's the second installment of my drugstore picks.

Lipstick

I'm not, I repeat, not a typical lipstick wearer. It feels dry on my lips and emphasizes any flakiness I might be sporting. So when I choose lipstick, I look for ones that are highly moisturizing and shiny - the closer to lip gloss, the better!

My pick for lipstick happens to be a three-way tie. They also happen to be the only three drugstore lipsticks I've tried in years, and I love them all. Best of all, you can get two of them for less than $2 each!

And the winners are:
  1. Revlon Shiny Sheers. This little gem of a lipstick bears a striking resemblance to MAC's Slimshine lipstick - a super creamy formula that's been popular with MAC addicts like myself. But at $7.99 (or less, if you find them on sale!), they are almost half the price of their MAC counterpart. My fave shade is Sheer Afterglow for a pretty pink pucker.
  2. NYC UltraMoist LipWear. For $0.99 (yes, that's right!), you might as well pick yourself up all 20 shades. These lippies go on very smoothly and give nice color payoff. My fave shade is Sheer Red, for those days when I want to amp up the drama.
  3. Wet 'n' Wild's Wild Shine lipstick. These babies are only $1.99, so picking up all 10 shades won't break your bank either. The lipsticks have the same soft-but-glossy consistency as my favorite high-end lipstick by Paul & Joe. The perfect "my lips but better" color is Oh Baby, a creamy natural pink shade (the number on the tube is 324A).

Bronzer

Bronzer is a staple for the summer. There's nothing better than instantly brushing on a gorgeous faux tan! My Holy Grail of bronzers, NARS Laguna, is fabulous, but at $28, it's not something everyone can afford. Luckily, there are some amazing bronzers out there at your local Walgreens.

My pick for best drugstore bronzer is a tie between two products - one that you can find at your local Walgreens, and one that you can't. At Walgreens, be sure to pick up Jane Shimmering Bronzer Powder. My fave shade is Tahiti (and trust me, you'll look like you just returned from there!), but the others are just as lovely. And you can't beat the price - $5.99. This bronzer might be best used at night, since it does have a good amount of shimmer. If you're looking for something slightly more matte, though still with a hint of shimmer, check out ULTA's Powder Bronzer. If you're not lucky enough to have an ULTA near you, check out their website - they retail for $10, but you can get them 50% off right now!

Powder

I go through a lot of powder in the summer. I'm constantly blotting with my favorite blotting papers (Clean & Clear!), then repowdering to hide the shine. As such, I go through a lot of powder this season! Luckily, there's a wonderful product that helps me keep shine at bay, and is insanely affordable. Once again, NYC is taking home an award for its Smooth Skin Face Powder. This gem of a product comes in two varieties - pressed or loose. Depending on your lifestyle and preference, one of these will be perfect for you. If you're always touching up on the go, try getting the pressed powder. If you only touch up at home, the loose might be your style. I personally am a fan of the loose translucent powder. I use a gigantic powder brush to place a fine dusting of the powder over my foundation to set my face for the day. Works like a charm. And you'll be surprised how silky this powder is for $1.99!

Don't despair, I'll be back again for a third installment of my top drugstore picks - concealer, lip liner and nail polish. I know you'll be waiting with baited breath - I know I would be!

No comments: