Monday, February 19, 2007

I'm a Barbie Girl...reluctantly

Rarely do I get caught up in the hype of advertising. Companies can try their best to convince me that I want something, but it's not until I hear from other reliable sources about how great a product really is, that I actually want it.

My case in point is the Barbie Loves MAC limited edition make up line by MAC Cosmetics.


The Barbie Loves MAC collection is a collaboration between MAC Cosmetics and Mattel. As you can see from the marketing photo, the colors are inspired by the makeup Barbie wears (those are real models, not dolls - I swear!) and are named appropriately. One could pick up Malibu Barbie colored lip gloss (which, if you're wondering, is bright fuchsia - which is all too appropriate for Barbie, but probably not so much for the average woman), or an eye shadow in Springtime Skipper (if you remember, Skipper is Barbie's little sister), which is a pearly mint green shade.

I'm not a regular MAC make up user. It's not that I don't like the line. I just haven't bought much from it. I did, however, own a good many Barbies when I was little. And although I always wanted to look like her when I was younger, I can't imagine wearing those bright colors now. Thus, I had no desire to buy anything from this collection.

That was, until people on MakeupAlley (my trusted source for beauty information) started talking about one particular eye shadow shade - Moth Brown. This shade was previously released in a different limited edition MAC collection, but due to its huge popularity, was brought back for the Barbie collection. My fellow make up comrades on MakeupAlley raved about this eyeshadow shade - it's what you'd call a "complex" shade. It's brown, but has silver, grey, purple and blue undertones. With all those undertones, you can pair it with tons of other shades. People raved so much about how fabulous and versatile it was, that when I went to the MAC counter to get a birthday present for a friend, I decide to check it out for myself. I was sold on it as soon as the sales associated showed me the color on her hand. In the pot, it looks blah, but when you put it on your skin, it shines. It's iridescent and beautiful. The perfect shade for a smokey eye that's not too smokey.

So if you're like me and don't get caught up in advertising hype, take my advice to at least check this shade out. It could be a valuable addition to your makeup collection.

No comments: